The London JOI Club is a proud member club of Junior Optimist International (JOI) that welcomes youth members from across London and area.
This is a great club with positive leadership, competition, and community outreach and volunteer opportunities for youth members – in our communities and beyond!
Meetings are held the 2nd Thursday of each month (unless otherwise noted in our Calendar) at the same time and location.
London JOI Club Resources:
Where do we meet?
Family Centre Fox Hollow (attached to Sir Arthur Currie P.S., Buroak Drive) JOIn our new London JOI Club for youth!
Youth club members will have a variety of opportunities to choose to:
- identify, promote and initiate projects
- join competitive Junior Golf
- host free sports workshops for children and youth
- gain valuable academic and life skills
- volunteer at events (see our current list of student volunteer opportunities below)
- compete in recreational leagues (we will assess interest in Golf, Baseball, Curling, Bowling and more…)
- compete in oratory, essay, and/or rule of law contests
- compete for scholarships (locally, regionally, and beyond)
- participate in team building and skills building activities and workshops
- partner with other JOI Youth Clubs, or other local youth clubs on projects
- partner with other charitable events for support
- host club events and fundraisers
- attend JOI convention(s)
- launch and manage their own e-newsletter and communications
- learn club governance (locally, nationally)
The London JOI Club is being sponsored by the Optimist Club of London- Nor’West and supported by sponsors and/or community partners. The club will follow Junior Optimist International and Optimist International guidelines and bylaws.
Here are some of JOI Club’s Student Volunteer Opportunities for community-minded, motivated youth members looking to make a positive contribution in their community and beyond!
- Fall/Winter – Snack Bar, Medway Arena Optimist Snack Bar help (dates upon request). JOI Club member(s) will work during family skates or events, selling packaged items, making coffee, tea, and hot chocolate, taking inventory before and after each shift, and dealing with cash.
- March – Maple Harvest Festival, Museum of Ontario Archaeology, JOI Club members are invited to help deliver kids craft workshops, face-painting, and more.
- May – Free Children and Youth Golf Workshops, Location t.b.a.
- June – Free Children and Youth Tennis Workshops, Location, Foxfield District Park
- August – 5k FOAM Fest at Boler Mountain, Make-a-Wish fundraising and JOI Club team building opportunity
- Hosting Community Events, such as…
- 2nd Annual Pumpkin Hollow in Foxfield, a free family-friendly Optimist event. Contact us for detailed volunteer opportunities in ‘games area’, ‘face painting’, ‘registration table’, ‘snack table’, ‘pet parade’ and more!
- Hyde Park Santa Clause Parade, JOI Club coordinating with Optimists, sponsors, and community partners to build and showcase a parade float, by volunteering in a variety of roles prior to and during the parade.
- Optimist Holiday JOI Skate with Santa, a free family-friendly Optimist event where residents enjoy skating, Santa and Elfie sightings, and the opening of Medway’s Optimist Snack Bar!
- Spring Bike Safety Rodeo, an opportunity for kids and youth to receive expert safety training, up to date cycling literature, helmet fittings, bicycle adjustments, and more. Stay tuned for details on 2019 Spring Bike Safety Rodeo.
To receive more JOI Club information, Ask our Advisor
If you or someone you know is interest in joining or mentoring with our new London JOI Club, we invite you/them to contact our Club Advisor to receive more information on these rewarding opportunities.
Have an idea for a new JOI club? A school club? A community project? Want to give your community project more traction? We can help! Contact our Certified Club Builder to discuss the many ways Optimists can help!
Ready to JOIn? Complete and return our Membership Form. Dues for London JOI Club are $10 annually, per person (subject to change after October 2019). Open and/or print our Invitation for meeting address and details.